Saturday, October 9, 2010

Translations and Packages in the Mail


Some books just cannot be obtained in a timely manner from your local public library. I'm pretty sure I read about this title in The New Yorker recently. I jotted down the author and title and did a search. When the only way it showed up was in the statewide database (and only three libraries had ordered it), I impatiently decided it was Amazon time. So now I can hold in my hand a hardcover copy of Villain: A Novel by Shuichi Yoshida.

According to the cover this is the English language debut of Yoshida, "one of Japan's most acclaimed and accomplished writers". Described as a "stunningly dark thriller" with a touch of noir, I am wondering if translator Philip Gabriel will do it justice.

I am anxiously awaiting turning the first page later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment