Friday, June 24, 2011

From Entertainment Weekly July 1, 2011

It shouldn't surprise anyone that, when I get my new issue of Entertainment Weekly, I go directly to the 'book' section. And today had a couple of interesting surprises. Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews, which I just read and liked, has debuted at #7 on the Publishers Weekly, week of June 15-21, 2011, Fiction Top Ten list.


 The next item to attract my attention was Mark Adams' Turn Right at Machu Picchu, about the ancient city built high in the Peruvian Andes. It turns out that this is the 100th anniversary of its 'discovery' by the Yale professor who became the prototype for Indiana Jones. EW gave the book a B+ but as a kid who seriously considered archeology as a career and was the 5th grade expert on the Incas, I am definitely reading this.

Finally I was fascinated by the featured review of Once Upon a River by Michigan author Bonnie Jo Campbell. A resident of Kalamazoo, she tells the story of a young woman's journey in such a unique way that the reviewer Lisa Schwarzbaum wrote, ""Fact is Campbell is a bard, a full-throated singer whose melodies are odes to farms and water and livestock and fishing rods and rifles, and to hardworking folks who know the value of life as well as the randomness of life's troubles."

1 comment:

  1. The Bonnie Jo Campbell book is good news for me. I read her short stories last year and appreciated her take on the underside of Michigan.

    ReplyDelete