Monday, September 12, 2011

THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS (2011)


The critics may not be excited but the readers must be. Articles and mentions of Vanessa Diffenbaugh's debut novel The Language of Flowers are sprouting up everywhere. So I requested it from my friendly local library and it is sitting in a short stack next to my reading chair.

As it turns out, the language of flowers, which is also sometimes referred to as 'floriography' was quite important during the Victorian era. Messages could be sent expressing feelings without words. Diffenbaugh's novel weaves past and present to tell the story of a young woman forgotten in the foster care system trying to make her way forward in a difficult world. I must say I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment