Tuesday, March 11, 2014

HIDDEN (2014)


HiddenHidden by Catherine McKenzie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although HIDDEN is Canadian author Catherine McKenzie's fourth novel, it is the first time I have read her work and I was most impressed.

First sentence: The last thing I had to do that day was fire Art Davies.

Within a carefully constructed structure, her writing is clear and moving. I love all the allusions to things in modern everyday lives. It strengthens how we relate to the story told by three people: Jeff, Claire, and Tish. And lest you think that might be confusing, it is not. The author places subtle markers at the beginning of each new section that immediately identify where the story is picking up. It is almost seamless.

The other thing I loved about HIDDEN is that it twists and turns and doesn't necessarily go where the reader expects while dealing with issues of relationships, family, secrets, and regrets.

Bottom Line: This is definitely a worthy addition to what I call 'literate chic-lit'. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Title: Hidden
Author: Catherine McKenzie
Genre: Literate chic-lit
Publisher: New Harvest
ISBN: 0544264975
No. of Pages: 304 pages
Copyright: April 1, 2014
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Source: Kindle Edition Offer

DISCLOSURE: Got a free copy through Kindle Prime.

Catherine MacKenzie, A graduate of McGill University in History and Law, practices law in Montreal, where she was born and raised. An avid skier and runner, Catherine's novels, SPIN, ARRANGED, FORGOTTEN and HIDDEN, are international bestsellers. HIDDEN will be released in the US on April 1, 2014. She is currently seeking a new one-word title so she can write her fifth novel. And if you want to know how she has time to do all that, the answer is: robots.

2 comments:

  1. I'll kep McKenzie in mind. I think I would really like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing I liked about the book is that the characters may make questionable decisions but they are all basically good people. They could be your family, friends or neighbors!

      Delete