Sunday, December 30, 2007

Six Degrees of Separation

Today's local paper carried an interview with author Brian Boldrey, whose new book Honorable Bandit: A Walk Across Corsica" is a memoir of his journey across the Mediterranean island of Corsica in 2004." Check out his hip website for more information.

What's interesting about this book to me is that it's "part travelogue, part memoir and part history."

Today Brian teaches creative writing at Northwestern University, but back in the late 70's, when he was in high school, he was a lowly student page and I was a lowly assistant at the Jackson District Library. Even then Brian evidenced a desire to see more of the world. It was also obvious that he had a pretty good sense of the absurd and humorous. I plan to take the trip with Brian this year. I'll let you know how it turns out.

This made me consider all the folks I have known who went on to write books while I was running libraries. Expect to hear more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment