Thursday, June 11, 2009

Say You're One of Them (2008)

Say You're One of Them Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was not an easy book to read. It was on the list of ten best books put out by Entertainment Weekly for 2008. I am slowly reading my way through the list but I seriously thought about putting this down in the first half. It was difficult for me to understand the dialogue with its mix of English, french and native words. But I persevered and am glad I did.

These stories all concern children, brothers and sisters, trying to live in countries like Rwanda and Kenya where unspeakable things are happening. The juxtaposition of innocence and the banality of evil is frightening. I learned things I wish were not true.

Uwem Akpan is a Jesuit Priest and got an MFA from the University of Michigan in 2006. The title is advice on how to survive ethnic conflict and so much more. This is an unforgettable book.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment