Friday, April 30, 2010

Still Midnight (2010)

Still Midnight Still Midnight by Denise Mina


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Stayed up past my bedtime to finish this excellent crime novel! Ever since discovering the Garnethill trilogy, I have been impressed with Denise Mina's ability to create a world peopled by flawed characters that we care about while telling a compelling story.

The bumbling criminals in STILL MIDNIGHT reminded me a bit of Elmore Leonard but the horror of random violence kept the proceedings grounded in Glasgow. DS Alex Morrow is an angry, disatisfied woman both at work and at home. Watching her spar with her partner while recognizing her total dedication to solving a terrifying kidnapping forces the reader to reluctantly give Alex some of the respect she deserves.

Mina starts with what could be stock characters and through small details eventually reveals them more completely. Even Alex herself is unmasked.  

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment