Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Running the Books: The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian (2010)

Ever wonder what prisoners read while they are locked up? I was amazed when I worked in the prison as a librarian that inmates were shown "The Texas Chain Saw Murders" for their movie night. But here is an article that confirms that twenty years later the trend is still the same - true crime is number one. Read about it HERE.

So I was interested in a new title called Running the Books: The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian, excerpted in this week‘s NYT Magazine. While I never was robbed by someone I knew, I did spot one of the inmates in my place of employment after he was let out and that was a shock. And I developed pneumonia from the stress of working inside the largest walled prison in the world even though I only lasted for eleven months. Author Avi Steinberg made it to two years.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating. But I thought it was the largest walled prison in the Western Hemisphere thanks to the USSR outbuilding us in the late 1950s or early 1960s. Please advise, oh venerable researcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In 1926, the prison was relocated to new building, and soon became the largest walled prison in the world with nearly 6,000 inmates." (Wikipedia) I'll have to research further because it doesn't indicate today's status.

    ReplyDelete