Sunday, January 23, 2011

An Object of Beauty (2010)

An Object of Beauty: A NovelAn Object of Beauty: A Novel by Steve Martin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In a case of art imitating life even the white cover of the book on second glance resembles the texture of a stretched canvas. Steve Martin's most recent novel captured me from the first sentence and fascinated me until the surprising ending. Along the way I got a feel for the Art World in New York City through the fascinating story told by Daniel concerning his relationship to Lacey Yeager.

Janet Maslin wrote in the New York Times, An Object of Beauty features 22 reproductions of quirkily varied artworks, from a festive Tissot to a starkly simple Milton Avery to a Warhol Marilyn Monroe. All are ingeniously worked into the narrative in ways that advance the story, underscore Mr. Martin’s critical acuity and kindle the collector’s instinct in even the most potentially indifferent reader. It takes that instinct to know what An Object of Beauty is really about."

All this creates an intriguing read that apparently has angered some people not expecting something completely different more in line with the humor of the man they know as a comedian. I devoured it. Found it compelling and fascinating. I love the unexpected!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment