Sunday, February 6, 2011

Carver's Manual on Community Theatre Directing (2010)

Carver's Manual On Community Theatre DirectingCarver's Manual On Community Theatre Directing by James C. Carver

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a must read for everyone interested in directing community theatre. Although I have forty plus years of experience, I read every page of Carver's book. In his preface he writes, "I always want to hear other director's thoughts on directing, because I steal anything that works." I can see myself pulling my copy out every time I agree to direct a show in the future just to feel I haven't forgotten anything. And Carver stresses that there is a particular list of issues associated with community theatre primary of which is the fact that "most of the people who come to us have talent, but no craft".

The other thing he mentions briefly at the end of the book, which made a big impact on me, was that we don't have a national theatre in our country. He proposes it should be our community theatres, which are in nearly every community, and involve more people than any regional or professional theatre!

It was reassuring to hear from someone else that my experiences over the years are normal and that my instincts are right. Thank you, James Carver.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment