Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Sea of Troubles (2001)

A Sea of Troubles (Commissario Brunetti #10)A Sea of Troubles by Donna Leon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've enjoyed Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti's mysteries in the past and picked up "A Sea of Troubles" this past summer when I was at my favorite independent bookstore in Stratford, Ontario.

The story didn't draw me in and I had to force myself to keep reading although I can't say exactly why. Checking out other reviews on the Internet, writers either loved or were lukewarm to this entry in the series and it didn't matter whether the writer was a regular reader of the series or not.

Overall Leon's stories are literate and well-written. She knows Venice well and gives the reader a lovely feel for the reality of the place. Guido Brunetti is a human being before he is a policeman and has a home life that brings him further to life. Perhaps reading the books in order would let the reader develop more of a love for the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment