Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Discovery of Witches (2011)

A Discovery of WitchesA Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I really wanted to like this book but ended up struggling to finish it. There's lots of research involved but none of it turns out to be very interesting. It struck me as a Twilight / Outlander wanabee mash-up. The ending clearly indicated a sequel was to follow but I won't be reading it. Three words come to mind: pedestrian, repetitive, and overlong.

When it comes to vampires, I prefer Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. When it comes to historical manuscripts, I prefer The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.

That being said, I predict it will keep its place on the best seller list and a movie is a real possibility. One of the book's fans already wrote this lovely music.


No comments:

Post a Comment