Thursday, August 11, 2011

Long Drive Home: A NovelLong Drive Home: A Novel by Will Allison

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This will sound odd but I was reminded of Scott Smith's A Simple Plan while reading this slim volume. In that book stolen money is found but there is no safe way to take it without being caught. Both are cautionary tales.

In Long Drive Home there was the same sense of dread from "a small unworthy" act that turned into a web that was ultimately inescapable.

The conceit in this story is that the narrator is writing to his daughter to explain his actions and finally tell the truth after a young man is killed in a car accident they witnessed. Our lives are governed by choices we make and choices made based upon untruths can unravel our world.

Will Allison writes a compelling story. This is his second book following What You Have Left (2007). What I was surprised by is that the beginning of that book is included with this one. Considering that it won several awards, I am guessing that the publishers think it could have a further life and I agree. I remember being impressed when I read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment