Sunday, May 20, 2012

After Annie (2012)

After AnnieAfter Annie by Michael Tucker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Herbie Aaron is one half of a celebrity marriage. . .But when Annie  dies of cancer, Herbie is lost."

I wanted to like this book. Then I started reading it and I didn't think that was going to happen. First of all, I didn't much like Herbie or the lifestyle he described. The sex and booze we all suspect is indulged in by theatrical types is very much in evidence. And, of course, since the author (and his wife) are well-known performers, we assume the book is built on their relationship and lives, whether that is true or not.

But something happened after a few pages and I fell in love with the characters. All of them. Even Herbie.

This is the first book in a long time that has made me really laugh and cry. (It says something like that on the cover, but for once it's true.) You'll want to hang out with these people. You'll think about making changes in your life and relationships. And because theater has been my life long passion, I can attest to the fact that the advice about acting and how to approach a role is truly insightful.

After all, Herbie is unique and seeing through his eyes makes you rethink the way you understand your own struggles. You'll be sorry to leave his world when the story ends.

Although this is Tucker's first published novel, he has written three other books of nonfiction about food and family. His bio says he is a writer and an actor. Both are more than true.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment