Monday, May 28, 2012

Then She Found Me (1990)

Then She Found MeThen She Found Me by Elinor Lipman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My first Elinor Lipman was The Inn at Lake Devine (1999) and that was all it took to make me fall in love. Sometimes I forget about Elinor; but in the end, I discover her again. This time it was Then She Found Me, her first novel published in 1990 picked up in a used book store.

Bernice Graverman is a talk show host and full of herself. Thirty-six years after giving up a child, she decides to find her and becomes an whirlwind force in April Epner's quiet life. But this isn't the story you might expect. The characters are charming and exasperating and funny. The surprises keep coming, one more outrageous than the next. It's a wonderful dance of a fairytale life.

You can see a list of Elinor Lipman's books on Wikipedia by clicking HERE. I am busy trying to figure out which titles I have missed. As it turns out, none, more's the pity. Her personal website is HERE.

Apparently this is the only one of Elinor's books that has been made into a movie starring Helen Hunt, Bette Midler, Colin Firth, and Matthew Broderick. The cast alone makes it something I will have to search out this summer. (I just requested from my local library!)

P.S. Elinor Lipman has a new book coming out Coming 8/28: TWEET LAND OF LIBERTY, a collection of Tweet Poems concerning the 2012 elections. She writes one everyday. Here's a sample, "Dressage is Mrs. Romney's passion/Expensive sport of horses prancin'/Tails & top hat crown the picture/& make the very rich look richer" Follow her on Twitter to read her acerbic and insightful 140 character rhymes! https://twitter.com/#!/ElinorLipman


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment