Sunday, March 10, 2013

LIFE OF PI (2001)

Life of Pi
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A friend handed me her copy of LIFE OF PI and I took the gift even though I have not had any interest in it, thinking I knew what the story was about.

Of course, it received Oscars nominations and won several including Best Director for Ang Lee so I moved it to the top of my list and started reading.

It was hard at first. I wasn't particularly won over until Pi Patel began to relate his story about surviving at sea with only a Tiger for company, I was drawn in.

The details, believable for the reader, morph into a fascinating tale. Life of Pi will stay with you for a variety of reasons including the discussion of religious beliefs, the overwhelming need to survive, the descriptions of nature and the ocean, and the absolute horror of what Pi lived through.

Although author Yann Martel was born in Spain, his parents were Canadian. Growing up he experienced life in France, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Canada. He studied philosophy but took a number of unrelatedl jobs before beginning to write.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment