Friday, March 29, 2013

Too Many Books - Is That Possible?


Courtesy photo - Disclaimer NOT MY LIBRARY
Recently I have been drowning in books. That sounds like a good thing but it is making me uncomfortable. I feel like I am failing and falling farther and farther behind.

Then I read a post by a book blogger who admitted suffering the same pangs. She made a list of the top ten books she had purchased and neglected to read. . .so far.

So I thought, I can do that, but I ended up with eleven. Some of these titles were presents, some I bought from Amazon, one from an independent, others from the used book store in town, and one I won online. I am indiscriminate in my acquisition of reading material.

And here is my list:
  1. Wendy and the Lost Boys - Jill Salamon (gift)
  2. The Gershwins and Me - Michael Feinstein (gift)
  3. Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple (won!)
  4. The Art of Cruelty - Maggie Nelson (Amazon)
  5. Witness - Ruth Gruber (Amazon)
  6. The Poison Tree - Erin Kelly (used bookstore)
  7. Orynx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (used bookstore)
  8. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Sloot (independent bookstore)
  9. Grace: A Memoir - Grace Coddington (Amazon)
  10. Turn Right at Machu Picchu - Mark Adams (Amazon)
  11. The Things That Matter - Nate Berkus (Amazon)
Actually it occurred to me that I probably had another top ten on my Kindle and about five books from the library sitting around that tend to get read first because they have to be returned.

The other thing I noticed is that the majority of the books were non-fiction. Hmmm. Wonder if that means something.

Anyway, I decided I need to cut back for my own sanity. Then I discovered I wasn't alone.

Here is a link to Jill Guccini's post When You Realize You Can't Read All The Things. After you finish it, you will feel part of a larger group of avid readers all suffering and enjoying the same problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment