Thursday, September 5, 2013

MURDER, SHE RODE (2013)


Murder, She RodeMurder, She Rode by Holly Menino
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really wanted to like this debut mystery by Holly Menino. The title is clever and unlike stories that add horses for color, this mystery has everything to do with the horses. Menino really knows her subject having been involved with horses all her life as well as having written three acclaimed nonfiction books on the topic according to the book jacket.

Right from the beginning I often found myself confused about details and characters having to re-read sections to be sure what was going on. It was hard for me to get into the story although by the end I really wanted to know what was going to happen.

Tink Elledge is a horse trainer and former champion rider, who's current goal is for her horse "Exit Laughing" to win the prestigious Brandywine Three-Day Event. A tragic accident and suspicious events threaten to mar not only the event but Tink's relationships with friends and family.

It may be that Murder She Rode will be appreciated by a very specific audience. Those who love horses or own horses may find this quite a delightful read. I am going to check this premise by asking a friend who owns horses and reads extensively to add this to her stack of books. More later!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment