Friday, June 13, 2014

THE HOUSE GIRL (2013)


The House GirlThe House Girl by Tara Conklin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was intrigued from the first sentence and read the book quickly in just several days. This was a Kindle purchase and the title was chosen for our book group so I didn't know what to expect.

Ordinarily I wouldn't pick up an historical novel, but author Tara Conklin has created two compelling contrasting worlds (one in the past and one in the present) to tell her story. Alternating between the life of 'house girl' slave Josephine Bell and that of fast track lawyer Lina Sparrow makes for a compelling story.

Being a 'house girl' of a childless family, Josephine has been taught to read and has a naturally brilliant talent for creating artwork although most of it is attributed to her mistress.

Lina is handed the opportunity of a lifetime when she is assigned to find the perfect plaintiff for a court case involving reparations for slaves.

How the two stories weave together and eventually become one will keep the reader engaged although the writing is a bit flowery at times.
 
My book group doesn't meet until next Thursday so I may update these comments after I hear what everyone thinks.

Recommended for a solid summer read.

View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment