Thursday, April 9, 2015

MURDER AT BARCLAY MEADOW (2015)


Murder at Barclay MeadowMurder at Barclay Meadow by Wendy Sand Eckel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I get excited when an unexpected book shows up in my mailbox. Last week it was a new cozy mystery from Minotaur. Since I am drowning in books, I, of course, immediately read a few lines with the idea of setting the book aside. Instead I found myself drawn into the story immediately.

THE STORY: Rosalie Hart thinks she has the perfect marriage until she discovers her husband Ed is having an affair and wants a divorce just as their daughter Annie heads off to college.

Unwilling to stay in the home they shared, Rosalie escapes to the farmhouse left her by her late aunt on Maryland's Eastern Shore. But Barclay Meadows doesn't turn out to be a safe sanctuary when Rosalie discovers a body floating in the marsh.

Everyone insists that the death was accidental, but Rosalie senses something is wrong and begins to ask questions.

WHAT I THOUGHT: This debut novel by Wendy Sand Eckel uses social media in a clever and totally integrated way. She also makes cultural references that connect with the reader's experiences. And, what might be the best part for some readers, there are recipes! Do I have to confess that I read this book in just a couple of days? It's well-written, has enough scary moments (but not too many), and lots of interesting quirky characters. The small town setting is charming and you'll want to join me in a road trip to visit the area. I will be watching for the next entry in what has all the ingredients to be a popular new series.

FIRST LINE: "Before my only child left for her first year of college, she suggested I create my own Facebook profile."

BOTTOM LINE: A most worthy entry to world of cozy mysteries. The book will be released on July 28, 2015.

Title: Murder at Barclay Meadow
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publisher: Minotaur
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
No. of Pages: 320
Copyright: July 28, 2015
ISBN-10: 1250058600
ISBN-13: 978-1250058607

Disclaimer: An advanced reading copy (ARC) of this book was provided to me by the publisher Minotaur for an honest review.

"WENDY SAND ECKEL is a psychotherapist who lives in Annapolis, Maryland, where she enjoys her family, multiple pets, and life on the water. Murder at Barclay Meadow is her first novel." (AMAZON)

No comments:

Post a Comment