Sunday, May 29, 2016

DEATH AT THE DAY LILY CAFE (2016)


Death at the Day Lily CafeDeath at the Day Lily Cafe by Wendy Sand Eckel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Last year about this time Minotaur sent me an ARC (advanced reading copy) of Wendy Sand Eckel's first cozy mystery Murder at Barclay Meadow. As it turned out, I was one of the first people to review the book and I loved it.

You can imagine my excitement when Death at the Day Lily Cafe showed up in my mailbox, and I am glad to say that it a worthy second adventure for Rosalie Hart!

THE STORY: Rebuilding her life, divorcee Rosalie Hart is opening a cafe on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and serving tempting organic food. Of course, it doesn't take any time at all before her good friend Doris asks Rosalie to help clear her little sister of a first degree murder charge.

Nobody much liked Carl James Fiddler, so there are lots of suspects for Rosalie and her friends to investigate.

When Rosalie's daughter gets caught up in the investigation, things get serious.

WHAT I THOUGHT: Although you don't have to read the first book to enjoy this one, I would because you are going to want to read each book in the series.

Charming, quirky characters the reader cares about surround Rosalie. The location is seductive and you will want to jump in the car and drive down to the Day Lily Cafe to hang out, have a brownie, and an espresso. The menus discussed and the recipes included are an added enjoyment.

Extra points for changing the name of an adopted cat who kills birds from Sweetie Pie to Todd (short for Sweeney Todd).

The story is told first person and sprinkled with clever jokes and allusions to popular culture. If you get them, it's fun. If you don't, it doesn't spoil the story.

Wendy Sand Eckel's writing and storytelling is intelligent and funny. I just wish Rosalie was my best friend and I lived close enough to stop by . I think all readers will feel the same way.

BOTTOM LINE: Any story that includes scrapple is a winner for me. A most worthy entry in this cozy mystery series. The book will be released on July 26, 2016.

Title: Murder at Barclay Meadow
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publisher: Minotaur
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
No. of Pages: 288
Copyright: July 26, 2016
ISBN-10: 1250058619
ISBN-13: 978-1250058614

Disclaimer: An advanced reading copy (ARC) of this book was provided to me by the publisher Minotaur for an honest review.

"WENDY SAND ECKEL is a psychotherapist who lives in Annapolis, Maryland, where she enjoys her family, multiple pets, and life on the water. Murder at Barclay Meadow is her first novel." (AMAZON)

No comments:

Post a Comment