Wednesday, May 11, 2016

MY RANDOM INTRO FOR ARMCHAIR BEA


Is there an award for being the oldest blogger? There should be. I'm approaching 71.


My earliest memories are of my grandfather, who lived with us after my grandmother died, reading OZ books to me. Although he was actually my step-grandfather, he had raised my father and was probably responsible for the 21 OZ books in my father’s collection. By the time I inherited them, two generations had colored the illustrations and the bindings were falling apart.

Books were everywhere in our home. I bragged that I could find a book on any topic the teacher assigned that would at least get me started on my report. And then there was the library.

I don’t remember ever going to the library with my Mother. It was always my father and he had a very distinctive browsing style. It included the entire collection of our Philadelphia branch library. Sadly it no longer exists.

Questions:

1. What is the name you prefer to use? My grandmother insisted that my mother name me Dorothy, which was my mother's name; but from the day I was born I was called Annie. However, no thanks to the TSA and Homeland Security, I am Dorothy in all official capacities. My friends and family still call me Ann or Annie.


2. How long have you been a book blogger? I retired from a lovely library career in 2007 and immediately started my retirement book blog because books have always been a part of my life. (I have notebooks of everything I have read going back many, many years.)

3. Have you participated in ABEA before? You can check out my 2013 Introduction.

More Questions:

1. Do you have a favorite book? The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. I read it at least once a year.

2. What is your favorite genre and why? I tend to read mysteries and psychological thrillers interspersed with something more literary or educational to assuage my guilt.

3. If you could recommend one other book blogger, who would it be and why? This is the blog I want to write when I grow up. It's professional, helpful, interesting, and visually appealing. Beth Fish Reads - Reading, Thinking, Photographing

5. If you could create a playlist that reflects your bookshelf, what would be the first song you choose?  Alexander Hamilton

7. What book are you most excited for on your TBR? What are you most intimidated by?

Theresa Rebeck, an American playwright, has written several novels and was responsible for the television show Smash among others. I loved her two earlier books so I am looking forward to I'm Glad About You.

I've started reading Alice Dreger's Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and one Scholar's Search for Justice. She is an American bioethicist, author, and former professor of Clinical Medical Humanities and Bioethics at the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois. I am totally intimidated. I feel like I have to take notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment