Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Callan Books in Stratford, Ontario


For the last four years I have traveled with friends to the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Canada. The one place I always make a point to visit is Callan's Bookstore at 15 York Street. They have been in business for 22 years and apparently are a destination for many book lovers.

              
 
One site lists Callan's specialties as "Canadiana, mysteries, theatre, cookery, history, classics and contemporary fiction. An eclectic selection and knowledgeable staff." Each year I come away with new authors, often Canadian, that I would never find on my own. It is the only time I 'browse' for books during the year since my list of books 'to read' is so long. This year's treasures are Last Reminder (Stuart Pawson), A Sea of Troubles (Donna Leon), and Theatre (David Mamet).          


No comments:

Post a Comment