Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Brutal Telling (2009)

The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There are currently seven books in the Chief Inspector Gamache Canon. The Brutal Telling is number five. (Number eight, The Beautiful Mystery will lay down on August 28, 2012.) This story, in particular, suffers for being read out of order. And unfortunately I can't remember the beginning of the next book and how things got reconciled so that is bothering me.

A body is discovered in the village bistro. He is unknown to everyone except one person, who refuses to tell. When Gamache and his team arrive, the mysteries of the past reveal themselves in fascinating ways.

Like other readers, I want to live in Three Pines. I want to spend time with the people I know so well through Penny's graceful writing. I want to visit all the locations she so lovingly describes. And if there has to be a murder now and then to bring Chief Inspector Gamache to town, well then I'm all right with that.

Although this series falls neatly into the cozy classification, I consider Louise Penny's books to be literate mysteries as well. If you start with Still Life and work your way through, as with Agatha Christie, you will be more than happy with each entry.

Louise Penny; photo by John Mahoney


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment