Wednesday, September 7, 2022

MAGIC TO DO (2022) - Review


Magic to Do: Pippin's Fantastic, Fraught Journey to Broadway and Beyond

Magic to Do: Pippin's Fantastic, Fraught Journey to Broadway and Beyond by Elysa Gardner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
On Sale: November 1, 2022

Stephen Schwartz has won many awards for his musical theater creations including "Pippin", "Godspell", "Wicked" and many more.

In 1964/5 Stephen Schwartz was a freshman and I was a sophomore in the Drama Department at Carnegie Mellon University, where he spent time in the practice rooms playing music while I was next door sewing in the costume shop for the next main stage production.

My 'so-called' career skirted the edges of many of the memories in Elysa Gardner's fascinating insight into musical theater and the complexity of getting to what is hoped will be a successful Broadway run. There were so many recognizable names and places. I stayed at a famous old hotel in New York City that was mentioned. My drama teacher was quoted. I saw the production of "Godspell" at the Ford Theater. And on and on.

Learning about the problems of a young Stephen Schwartz, who wanted to stress the singing, battling the legendary Bob Fosse's emphasis on dance, led to a discussion of how Broadway shows have changed over the years. Today we have triple threats: performers who can sing, dance, and act. "Pippin" and "Godspell" pointed the way to a less traditional musical theater eventually leading to the rock musicals offered today.

A lot of information one might never seek, turns out to be surprisingly interesting. The author has included the people who work behind the scenes and how they create the magic eventually seen onstage.

On YouTube you can check out some of the performances. My favorite is the original "Pippin" opening number with Ben Vereen, the black background, and the white gloved hands hanging in space.

I have always felt a close connection to "Pippin" since a community production used my duck (a puppet) as THE duck. He has a place of honor in my office.

One of my top ten books of 2022.

"Pippin" includes an index, brief reading list, and photographs.

Thank you, #NetGalley/#Rowman & Littlefield, Applause for an honest review! It was a pleasure to read and review!

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment